I've tried many ways of making them but been frustrated; when I get them as brown as I like, they always turn mushy and stick to the pan, defeating the whole crispy-brown-on-the-outside-smooth-and-creamy-inside thing. When I've read the instructions to soak the potatoes in salted water to remove some of the starch, I said, "Yeah, right, I've got time for THAT". So finally I gave in and tried it.
People, that's it. I mostly followed this recipe and made a couple of changes. Result? The best fried potatoes I've ever made, just the way I like them. Recipe below. And you'll want to try out Don's Spice Mix, it's the bomb.
3 large Potatoes
1 med Onion
or black pepper or a good seasoning mix
2. Let soak for 5-10 minutes in salted ice water
3. Drain well and pat dry
4. Add olive oil to a hot pan, don't give it time to smoke
5. Add potatoes and let fry, turning occasionally to brown all sides
6. Reduce heat slightly and add seasoning and onions, turning to lightly brown onions
7. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to steam for about 3 minutes
8. Remove cover and turn the heat back up to high, allow to crisp back up. Do not cover after this or potatoes will get soggy.