Monday, April 22, 2019

Happy Earth Day

Today I finished off my 3rd Trench Composting bed, lining with limestone blocks and filling up with leaves. The first two are planted in multiplier onions and garlic, as I haven't wanted to fence out our herds of deer yet. I'm on the Llano Uplift in Central Texas.
The working bed is outlined with landscape timbers and covered with a monster piece of cardboard from the furniture store. Every 3-4 days I dig a hole in our rock-hard decomposed granite 'soil' and bury all our kitchen trash and paper products. I'm slowly getting the garden I've always wanted and kept compostables out of the landfill. For the best video I've ever found on Trench Composting, see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sFQsyuxiA&t=2s
To start a new hole I normally have to water first, set the shovel and jump up and down on it. I planted some elephant garlic in the middle bed today. The trowel went in like butter.
Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment