Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year 2019!

From Don;

We went grocery shopping a few days after Christmas and Lisa adamantly protested when I threw a package of dried peas in the shopping cart but I assured her that I'd be cooking them for me and wouldn't insist she eat any of them.

Today I picked through them (like you're supposed to do), rinsed them in a colander and put them on the stove, in some ham bone stock, to cook. Then I saw a photo on facebook of a pot of beans or peas (there wasn't a caption on the photo) with some sausage slices in it and that looked real good. We had some fancy (Pederson's Natural Farms) JalapeƱo Smoked (pork) Sausage in the freezer. I thawed out the sausage in the microwave and cut a few ounces of it into thin slices. By this time the house was beginning to smell pretty good and Lisa suggested I put an onion in the pot. I told her I'd chop an onion if she'd get me some fresh onion tops out of her garden patch (the only edible crops she grows are onions and garlic because they're the only things the deer won't destroy). A short time later the peas were ready and Lisa's objections to them seem to have evaporated so we both dug in.

They started out, in my mind at least, as a nice side dish but they wound up making a great supper and we even have enough left to eat tomorrow. Might even be a new tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment