Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Planted Up!

I met with Keenan Fletcher, the Heirloom Bulb Girl, and got some much-needed advice about how to plant the garden I prepared. She asked me if I wanted formal or wild. I answered, "Sort of formal". She asked if I wanted to spend a lot of time on it or let it be self-sufficient. I said self-sufficient, of course. She said I could have formal and spend plenty of time on it or wild and self-sufficient; "Pick one". So I said wild(ish) would suit me just fine.

I put a walkway of old 2x4s in the middle to walk on, I hate to walk on soil I've worked hard to loosen. In the back, to the left of the tree, I put 3 4 O'Clocks, 3 Elephant Garlic, there's a semi-circle of Paperwhites a couple of feet from the tree, a rough semi-circle of iris, and Pink Rain Lilies. Then the walkway, Front row from the left- a Blue Salvia, a patch of Oxbloods, the Mystery Bulbs, Lambs' Ears in 4 places, another patch of Oxbloods, Saffron Crocus and Oxalis spread around the front semi-circle. A couple of specimen plants and another Blue Salvia on the right side. As soon as I can find one I'm going to put a Copper Canyon Daisy or two close by to discourage the deer.

When I was done I raked the bed very lightly, mixed a bunch of wildflower seeds with some fine oak leaf mold and slightly moistened it, then broadcast it all over the bed. I gently hand-stirred the top 1/8 inch by hand and watered it all in very gently, not washing the seeds, just wetting them. I may lightly mist the surface for a few days to prevent the seeds from drying out. After that I'll water once in awhile if it doesn't rain. 

I found some foliage in the lawn that looked like bulbs and dug them up out of curiosity. 3 very unimpressive clumps of short, thin leaves turned out to be huge clumps of Oxblood Lilies. Another clump of wispy leaves turned out to be a nice cluster of what I think may be Rain Lilies.

Now for that 'patience' part. My hands feel like they're made of Velcro.

Update; if I see one teeny, tiny bit of Bermuda grass in there, I will be in there with Napalm and a bad attitude.








No comments:

Post a Comment