Thursday, November 16, 2017

Bulb Garden

When we moved to this property 5 years ago, I didn't really think I had time, but I dug up my Oxblood Lilies from the old place and replanted them. Boy, am I glad I did. They have multiplied and put on a beautiful display this year. 

I got all excited and decided to double the size of the bed to a half-circle and fill it in with some Spring Bulbs. I bought Grape Hyacinths, Tete-a-Tete miniature Daffodil bulbs and Pink Hyacinth from American Meadows. The order came in just a couple of days, in perfect, healthy condition . In the back I planted a Turk's Cap with Gregg's Mist plants in front of it. If they take they'll be great summer butterfly and hummingbird flowers.

I was knocked out by this year's Oxblood Lilies

 Perhaps I got a little carried away

Planning on what to put where was a problem that I solved by using Inkscape, a vector graphics editor. It's quite a steep learning curve but since I already had some experience it came in handy.

Why yes, that's 275 bulbs


Planted, smoothed over and walkways


I wanted to use oak leaves for a mulch but knew that if I just threw them down, they would become an impermeable barrier to water. I googled it and after some research found someone who had shredded oak leaves in a container with a Weedeater. It worked! If you try it, by all means use eye protection and try to fish out as many twigs as possible. 


Lightly mulched, more later.
Now, to be patient for about 4 months...




No comments:

Post a Comment