Saturday, November 5, 2016

365 Project #365 Pigs' Feet

A couple of weeks ago I finally picked up a jar of Pickled Pigs' Feet, but they were so vinegary they were almost inedible. I soaked the rest of the jar in clear water, drained it and ate them. I had a pretty good idea that I liked them so I decided to make my own.

Some research on recipes led me to three major types, Down-Home Southern American, European and Asian. Asian sounded good to me this time so I tried a variation of THIS RECIPE. Here's my version, using what I thought would taste good.

I eat Chicken Feet for their medicinal properties (you can believe that if you like) and it seems the hardest part about this whole adventure will be to eat just a serving of them each day. For their medicinal properties, you see. I've already had a plate with Chinese Glass Noodles, put the container in the fridge and planning my next meal. Perhaps breakfast...

ASIAN STYLE PIGS' FEET


Almost 3 lb. feet, cut in chunks
Water to cover
1 onion, cut in slices
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped 
2 Jalapenos, coarsely chopped 
1/4 C. rice wine vinegar
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/8 C. sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger

Boil feet in large stockpot full of water 15 minutes, discard water.

Transfer to soup pot or put back in stockpot.

Cover feet with water, add all ingredients.

Simmer gently 2 1/2 hours, gently remove feet from liquid.

Reduce liquid to a thick, clingy sauce, add feet back in and stir gently to coat feet in sauce, simmer 20 minutes to 1/2 hour longer at very low heat.

Let rest a bit to let flavors mingle and eat warm. Sauce is wonderful on noodles.

These are from Miiller's Smokehouse in Llano, TX,
frozen, very clean and attractive-looking.
After first boil, drained
Cooking liquid with all ingredients

Sauce reduced and ready
Dinner!
Leftovers are all mine, Don won't eat them.
Bwahahaha!







No comments:

Post a Comment