Monday, June 1, 2015

365 Project #128 4-7-8 Breath

I have a couple of anxiety disorders and have always suspected medication isn't the answer.  Since I have a lot of sensitivities, the odds that I would find something that would work without side effects is slim to none.

For one thing, I tend to 'catastrophize' when I worry and the first thing that suffers is my sleep.  Can I get an AMEN?  Of course if you can't sleep you're not going to handle stress well, so it's a circle-in-a-spiral kind of thing.

Another problem is a condition called Mazeophobia, the fear of getting lost.  It's not fun, and in time it can progress to the point where you can't leave your house.  I was there and I'm not going back, so I fight it every day.  Google Maps is my friend.

I found this ancient breathing technique, recently brought to public attention by Dr. Andrew Weil and making the rounds in the media.  It actually works to break the cycle of anxiety, and in just a few days I sleep better and am getting less anxious about getting lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment