Thursday, January 29, 2015

365 Project #31 Sinus Rinse-Get Rid of a Sinus Infection Fast

Last week, I got rid of a sinus infection overnight.  Really.  To the below recipe, add one teaspoon of an organic, raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar like Bragg's.  Don't use more at first or I promise you'll be sorry :-)  You can use a little more the second day if you like.  I'll be using the vinegar-added mix for about a week and update here, but for now the pain and congestion is gone.  I'm a happy camper.

For several years now I've been using a sinus rinse to irrigate my nose.  It's a great way to beat back those allergy symptoms and a necessity when we play in smoky bars.  If I don't do a rinse after a gig, I'll have a 'bar headache' for a day or two. 

The premise is simple: cleaner sinuses, especially before bedtime, are happier sinuses.  Additionally, any nasal sprays or other medications are going to work better in a clean nose. 

If you haven't done it before, do some research and try it for yourself, I use the NeilMed Sinus rinse bottle and when I ran out of the premixed packets I started using the equivalent home-made version.  If you use tap water, be sure to boil it first and cool, as sinus infections are possible and a few deaths have been caused from infection by Naegleria fowleri from using contaminated water.  Here are some great reasons to try it and tips for rinsing.

The best temperature is lukewarm, as overly-warm water can swell the sinuses and cold water can be very uncomfortable.  Below are a couple of videos that show how fast and easy it is to do.


Sinus Rinse Solution

1 cup distilled or pre-boiled, cooled tap water
1/2 tsp. non-iodized salt (kosher or sea salt)
pinch (less than 1/16 tsp.) baking soda




No comments:

Post a Comment